|The Return of King Crimson
|:: Posted by Sid Smith on Mon., Nov 19, 2007
Ending weeks of speculation in various online communities, Robert Fripp has revealed in his latest online diary that drummer Gavin Harrison (of Porcupine Tree) will be joining King Crimson.
The band will be playing a series of live dates in Chicago’s Park West – most recently the venue to RF and the LoCG appearance in the windy city. Fripp notes “Park West is a fave venue, and one I have been working for 27 years. The LCG were here in 1989 & 1990…This is also the venue where, according to our current plans for King Crimson’s return to active-service in 2008, preparatory to the 40th. Anniversary Celebration of 2009, The Beast Of Crim will be playing a 4-night residency in August 2008 with KC’s third double-drumming formation.
The first formation: Jamie Muir & Bill Bruford (1972-73);
the second formation: Pat Mastelotto & Bill Bruford (1994-97);
the third formation: Pat Mastelotto & Gavin Harrison.
A fourth double-drumming formation, of 1981-84 (Adrian & Billy B), doesn’t quite count as Adrian’s primary focus was in the front line.”
Harrison is one of the most respected drummers of his generation, adding a prodigious technique to the work of Porcupine Tree as well collaborating with Jakko Jakszyk on The Bruised Romantic Glee Club, and most recently, Drop – an album with bassist and singer, 05Ric and also featuring contributions from Fripp. Some may recall Drop was featured as a DGMLive giveaway (see my review on the blog), perhaps hinting at Harrison's proposed involvement. Only DGMLive regular, Chocolatefireguard, spotted the listing on King Crimson's myspace site: the top four musicians have been there for a couple of months now.
More details will be announced regarding rehearsal schedules and ticket availability as soon as we get them.
Displaying 4696 items (Viewing 1 to 10 of 4696)
King King Crimson Huge In Wimborne
:: Posted by Sid Smith on Wed., Aug 20, 2014
My thanks to Chris Jones for spotting this photo taken by his pal, music journalist Daryl Easlea. "On holiday in deep Dorset! I'd never been to Wimborne before and when the record shop here had ITCOTCK on heavyweight vinyl, I thought it was rude not to purchase. And then prop it up against the record shop in the town's legendary model village."
Also worth checking out is this footage from Pathe News of the model village circa 1960.
King Crimson Joins Lady Gaga
:: Posted by Sid Smith on Wed., Aug 20, 2014
My thanks to jhessel who writes "We recently went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and set up a King Crimson Display next to a Lady Gaga costume!"
Kate Bush Joins King Crimson
:: Posted by Sid Smith on Tue., Aug 19, 2014
Kate Bush joins King Crimson in hoping that audiences attending their forthcoming gigs actually put aside their iphones et al and actually share the experience together.
On her website she writes
Many thanks to everyone who sent such lovely wishes for my birthday. I had a wonderful day.
We're all very excited about the upcoming shows and are working very hard in preparation. It's going very well indeed.
I have a request for all of you who are coming to the shows :
We have purposefully chosen an intimate theatre setting rather than a large venue or stadium. It would mean a great deal to me if you would please refrain from taking photos or filming during the shows. I very much want to have contact with you as an audience, not with iphones, ipads or cameras. I know it's a lot to ask but it would allow us to all share in the experience together.
Looking forward to seeing you there."
Here's hoping! Check out the original page here.
Sum Of A Gunn
:: Posted by Sid Smith on Mon., Aug 18, 2014
Last week we reported the news that Trey Gunn had launched a crowd-funding project to garner support for a book of transcriptions and tablature. Just five days later, his project has attracted 55% funding. However, he still needs more support to reach his target. Check out Trey's latest update here.
Cross & Jackson
:: Posted by Sid Smith on Mon., Aug 18, 2014
David Cross mentioned his new collaboration with ex-VdGG sax player, David Jackson via his twitter feed yesterday.
Searching for the right chord - reharmonising one of Mick's bass lines at Holly Lodge with David Jackson this week.
Follow David on Twitter @DavidCrossMusic
Round The Camp Fire
:: Posted by Sid Smith on Sun., Aug 17, 2014
Tony Levin has updated his website with a gallery dedicated to the Three Of A Perfect Pair music camp with Adrian Belew, Pat Mastelotto and other members of Crimson ProjeKCt. Check out the pics here.
VIP Packages Available
:: Posted by Sid Smith on Sat., Aug 16, 2014
The people of SLO VIP Services inform us that for those looking for VIP bundles for the forthcoming tour packages are still available. Check out the website for details.
Starless Box Set Pre-Order Details
:: Posted by Sid Smith on Thu., Aug 14, 2014
Following in the steps of The Road To Red, the next multi-disc King Crimson box set is now available for pre-order.
Pre-order for October 13th release via
Inner Knot: US
orBurning Shed : UK & Europe
Limited to a single pressing run, Starless offers an in-depth overview of King Crimson's celebrated mid-1970's live line-up at its most exploratory.
Few bands have offered as much variety in material from night to night, and King Crimson's propensity for improvisation and fondness for playing its newest material - often unreleased on record at the time of performance - is legendary.
Autumn 1973: As King Crimson's second lengthy US tour of that year was coming to a close, a short series of UK concerts for the end of October, followed by a more extensive European tour in November was already planned. Three of these concerts Glasgow, Zurich and Amsterdam were recorded as full multi-track recordings, with material from the Amsterdam show being used as core material for the January 1974 recording of Starless And Bible Black.
From mid-March to the start of April, the band was on the road in Europe again, promoting the album with their final European concerts of the decade, prior to undertaking a further US tour. A number of these concerts were recorded on stereo reel to reel machines, fed directly from the signal as sent to the PA system on the night of the performance. These soundboards are often referred to as The Blue Tapes, named after the outer colour of the original tape boxes and are especially valued for both the quality of recording and performance.
Starless offers 18 CDs of live concert performances - 7 of them mixed from the 1973 multi-track tapes. A further 11 present the complete run of The Blue Tapes for the first time.
CDs of the ORTF Paris TV performance and the 2011 stereo mix of Starless And Bible Black also feature. Two DVD-A discs and two Blu-Ray discs contain concert and studio recordings in stereo, quadraphonic and full 5.1 surround sound - all in high-resolution audio.
Starless is presented in a 12" box with a comprehensive booklet featuring sleeve notes and photos aplenty, memorabilia, album and poster prints, and 3 bonus audio CDs.
Pre-order for October 13th release.
*19 CDs of live performance material.
* 7 CDs taken from multi-track tape including 4CDs of material from the Glasgow and Zurich shows, freshly assembled and mastered in Hi-Res from the original Great Deceiver mixes by David Singleton at DGM Soundworld in 2014, the Amsterdam show The Nightwatch mixed by Steven Wilson and a previously unheard preparatory of material from the same show prepared by George Chkiantz (engineer of all live KC shows of the era and the Red album).
* 11 CDs drawn from high quality stereo reel to reel soundboard tapes. 8 making their first appearance on CD with the remaining three re-mastered or drawn from new tape sources.
* 1 CD presenting the performance from the ORTF Paris TV broadcast
* CD 20 features the 2011 stereo mix of Starless And Bible Black by Steven Wilson and Robert Fripp
* DVD-A 1 features the Starless & Bible Black album in 5.1 Surround, with new & original stereo album mixes in High Resolution Stereo plus bonus audio material.
* DVD-A 2 features material from Mainz (mixed by David Singleton), Amsterdam (mixed by Steven Wilson) & a later show from Pittsburgh (mixed by George Chkiantz) in quadraphonic audio and High-Resolution Stereo.
* Both DVD-A discs are region 0 playable in all areas & compatible with all DVD players and DVD Rom players
* Blu-Ray Disc 1 features full lossless audio 24/192 transfers of material from the Glasgow and Zurich shows, freshly assembled & mastered from the original Great Deceiver mixes by David Singleton at DGM Soundworld in 2014 in LPCM stereo.
* Blu-Ray Disc 1 also features the Amsterdam show The Nightwatch, mixed by Steven Wilson and the George Chkiantz preparatory mix stereo in 24/96 High-resolution stereo & a 24/96 transfer of the original David Singleton/Robert Fripp mix of The Nightwatch.
* Blu-Ray Disc 2 features Starless & Bible Black in 5.1 Surround (DTS-HD MAS & LPCM 24/96) alongside new and original stereo masters of the album, a needledrop of an original vinyl pressing plus audio extras.
* Blu-Ray Disc 2 also features the Quad mixes of material from the Mainz, Amsterdam & Pittsburgh concerts.
* Blu-Ray Disc 2 also features the ORTF Paris TV footage in a new hi-res transfer from the original source files.
* Discs packaged in 8 individual 3 disc digipaks within an album sized box
* 3 additional bonus CDs of audio restored soundboard/bootlegs and audio curios are also included.
* 1 further concert (bootleg quality audio) is also available via included download ticket.
* Album sized booklet with rare/unseen photos, new sleeve notes by Sid Smith, technical notes on the recordings by David Singleton, eye-witness accounts from fans who attended the gigs plus memorabilia including an album print, poster, replica concert ticket, press release with folder, photos and more besides.
* Limited to a single pressing run.
Trey Gunn Bought To Book
:: Posted by Sid Smith on Wed., Aug 13, 2014
Trey Gunn is hoping to release a book of music scores with tablature via the crowd-funding website Indiegogo. Check out the plans for the book (not to mention the way-cool video) and see how you can get involved and support this venture by clicking here.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 Next >>